Dog and Cat Vaccinations in Greenville
Your pet is vulnerable to a number of diseases that could threaten their life. Dog and cat vaccinations can significantly reduce the threat of infection. At Greenville Animal Hospital, we offer only the safest, most effective vaccines. We believe that you should always be able to choose the best level of care for your pet, and we will discuss our vaccination recommendations with you.
Our Dog and Cat Vaccines
We know that every pet has unique needs, which is why we offer a range of core and noncore vaccines to suit every lifestyle. Core vaccines are those that every pet needs, while noncore vaccines are given based on your pet’s level of risk.
- Rabies (canine and feline)
- DHPPL – canine distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirus, leptospirosis
- FVRCP – feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopenia
- Canine Bordetella (prevents kennel cough which is important if your dog is exposed to other dogs at grooming and boarding facilities, dog parks, etc.)
- Lyme disease (prevents tick-borne Lyme disease in dogs who are frequently outdoors)
- Canine Influenza (bivalent vaccine protects against both strains of canine flu which is highly contagious between dogs)
- Feline Leukemia (protects indoor/outdoor cats from contracting this highly infectious, deadly disease)
Three-Year vs. One-Year Pet Vaccines
As concerns about overvaccination increase, the veterinary industry is steadily moving away from one-year vaccines. While some noncore vaccines still require annual boosters, most core vaccines need three-year boosters (given after the end of a puppy or kitten's initial vaccine series). Three-year vaccines significantly cut back on the potential for overvaccination, while still maintaining the highest level of protection.
Feline PureVax rabies (an adjuvant-free vaccine) and canine leptospirosis are the only core vaccines that still require annual boosters.
If you have any questions about pet vaccinations, overvaccination, or any other concern, please reach out to us at (616) 754-9633.